What to see in Corcubión
Corcubion, land of calm and bravery
Rúa Antonio Porrúa, 5
propiedade do Concello de Corcubión
This chapel has a rectangular floor plan, with a single nave and a small sacristy behind the presbytery space. At the foot it has a small wooden tribune. The nave is covered with a semicircular vault reinforced with fajon arches that rest on giant pilasters made of concrete.
It was ordered to be built by Pilar Hermida Orbea as an annex to the "Asilo de Ancianos Pobres Desamparados" (retirement home), built in 1925 in memory of her husband with the funds that the Riestra Figueroa family had left to him for that purpose. This charitable foundation continued to be active until the middle of the eighties, when it only had four people sheltered, due to the precarious hygienic and security situation of the facilities.
In the chapel rest the remains of Emilio Alonso and his relatives, Ana, Joaquina and Laureano Riestra, as well as those of the founder herself, as recalled by a commemorative plaque located on one of the sides of the presbytery.
In 1989 the building was restored by the town council to become the Municipal Auditorium, although the subsequent construction of the Casa de la Cultura relegated the Pilar’s Chapel to this function. It is currently used for cultural activities by the residents of Corcubión.