What to see in Corcubión
Corcubion, land of calm and bravery
Pazo of the Counts of Altamira
rúa de San Marcos
15th century, with reforms in the 17th and 18th centuries
private property in use
The establishment of the capital of the jurisdiction in Corcubión in 1430 by the Counts of Altamira made it necessary to build a representative building to house, in addition to the residential one, other functions, such as the court room of the village.
This Manor House is a construction from the 15th century but altered with successive reforms in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The reinforcement of the defensive system was one of the main objectives, since, due to its proximity to the sea, the threat of an attack was always close, as when in 1457 the Archbishop Rodrigo de Luna’s troops disembarked in the port of Corcubión and attacked Moscoso’s troops. To improve security some towers were built, but they were demolished during the remodelling at the beginning of the 18th century. This pazo also housed the residence of the merino (the judge who ruled over the jurisdiction of Corcubión), with rooms reserved for the Count's residence. This building formed a unit with the annexed dwelling.