What to see in Corcubión
Corcubion, land of calm and bravery
Old Judicial District Goal
Faustino Domínguez Domínguez
property of the Corcubión Town Hall
The prison premises were initially located in the basement of some building, with precarious sanitary conditions due to prisoner overcrowding. Faced with this situation, the mayors of the judicial area agreed to build a specific prison area which would also include the courthouse and the town hall.
The project was commissioned to the provincial architect Faustino Domínguez Domínguez, and the construction was carried out between 1854 and 1858. It is organised as a trapezoid-shaped volume around a central courtyard. In the inner courtyard there was a small chapel, an infirmary and the cells. On the outside, the central door stands out, with a semicircular arch on a cushioned ashlar arch. It is completed with a pair of buttresses of the load-bearing walls as doric pilasters. In 1996, this building was restored was restored to become what is now the tourist information office and an exhibition centre.