What to see in Corcubión
Corcubion, land of calm and bravery
Lobeira Grande Island Lighthouse
Lobeira Grande Island 42° 52' 55'' lat. N. e 9° 11' long. O.
Salvador lópez miño
it depends on the Port Authority of A Coruña
Ground height to light
Height of the light on the sea
appearance of a group of 2 white beams every 14 seconds
In August 1904, the General Directorate of Public Works commissioned a study for the construction of the following facilities in Lobeira Grande:
- A building to house two lighthouse keepers.
- The base of the tower.
- Cleaning of reefs at the most accessible entrance of one of the three channels giving access to the small inlet near the site of the lighthouse.
- Construction of a wharf.
- Service road to link the pier with the tower house.
The project was carried out by the engineer Salvador López Miño who finished it on the 18th of February, 1905. On the 19th of October 1905, a second project was commissioned in which the metal tower was replaced by an ashlar tower. López Miño completed the drafting of this project on the 4th of May 1906. It consists of two houses, rooms linked to the operation of the lighthouse, and two exterior cisterns. The tower has a pyramid-shaped trunk. The height of its light is about 16 metres above sea level, with a range of 11 miles. It was inaugurated on the 15th of September 1909 with a 4th order device of 250mm focal length. It had a two-wick constant level lamp, which in foggy weather was helped by a petroleum vapour incandescent lamp. Since 1924, the lighthouse has been uninhabited, as an acetylene installation with an AGA scintillator and solar valve was put into operation to replace the lighthouse keeper. The appearance of the beam group changed every 15 seconds, with an average range of 11 miles.